Helena Schrader's Historical Fiction

Dr. Helena P. Schrader is the author of 24 historical fiction and non-fiction works and the winner of more than 53 literary accolades. More than 34,000 copies of her books have been sold. For a complete list of her books and awards see: http://helenapschrader.com

For readers tired of clichés and cartoons, award-winning novelist Helena P. Schrader offers nuanced insight into historical events and figures based on sound research and an understanding of human nature. Her complex and engaging characters bring history back to life as a means to better understand ourselves.

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Why I Write Historical Fiction - A Guest Blogpost by Stephen Estopinal

 Stephen Estopinal grew up in the swamps and bayous of Louisiana. He graduated from  Louisiana State University (class of 1968) and was a US Army veteran (Combat Engineers 1969-1971). He joins me to talk about why he writes historical fiction.

I write Historical Fiction to introduce my readers to aspects of American History that are ignored in most textbooks. I was a living history volunteer at the Chalmette Battlefield National Park and a black powder expert. My infatuation with history, particularly the history of Spanish Colonial Louisiana prompted me to write a series of novels to bring that history to life. I am a descendant of Canary Islanders (Isleños) transported to Louisiana by the Spanish during the American Revolution. My books are based upon on extensive research as well as family oral history. My stories of Colonial Louisiana are from a Spanish point of view.

My first novel was El Tigre de Nueva Orleáns published in 2010 and approved for sale by the National Park Service at the Chalmette National Park Visitor’s Center. It has been followed by a novel nearly every year. Incident at Blood River was published in 2011, Anna in 2012, Escape to New Orleans in 2013, Mobile Must Fall. in 2014, Pensacola Burning in 2015, Solitario; Bootlegging on the Bayou in 2018, The Man From Red Hill  in 2018 and Beneath the Bonnie Blue Flag in 2021. These novels are all historical fictions of 18th and 19th Century. They tell the story of the Isleños settlers in Louisiana and their struggle for survival. Published under the label Libros Isleños of Gonzales, Louisiana, writing historical fiction has provided me with an enjoyable hobby and a means of keeping the diverse history of colonial Louisiana alive.

Find out more about Stephen Estopinal and his books here.


 

4 comments:

  1. Stephen is excellent author. I have collected all of his novels and I have read them all! I highly recommend all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Helena. Look for my next book “the Saint Louis Tower” due out during mid May, 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve read all of Stephen’s books. He is an excellent author!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of Stephen’s books are amazingly fun and enlightening reads….historically accurate, immersive, exciting stories with a side dash of mysticism/voodoo for heightened suspense abd intrigue.
    Highly recommend his books for anyone who enjoys history, adventure and romance….

    ReplyDelete